Monday, February 21, 2011

Heart Reef, Australia



My roommate sent me this postcard when she was in Australia last spring. The top photo shows Heart Reef, which is part of the Great Barrier Reef in Queensland. This looks like a great place to go diving - you can see all kinds of fish, turtles, and the 2-meter-long Giant Queensland Groper. I don't know about you, but I wouldn't want to meet that on the subway... just kidding. Actually it's just a big fish and the symbol of Queensland.

See:


The Great Barrier Reef is the world's largest coral reef, and is even visible from space! Along with all the fish, there are also 30 species of marine mammals including dugongs. I think dugongs are awesome. When I did a google image search for "dugong," I found this:

I do NOT have this stamp - I don't have a postcard from Vanuatu - but if I ever get a postcard from there, sent from the underwater post office, with this stamp, I think I will go into a coma of happiness.

The Great Barrier Reef was listed as a UNESCO world heritage site in 1981

No comments:

Post a Comment