Saturday, July 30, 2011

Xi'an, China

Terra-cotta Warriors

This is the world heritage site near Xi'an that I didn't visit on my trip there. My friend told me it wasn't as awesome as visiting Hua-shan mountain, so I went there instead. But I received a postcrossing official card from there, and here it is.

The armies are found at the tomb of China's first emperor, Qin Shihuang, buried with him and meant to protect him in the afterlife. They date to the year 209 BCE. Buried under 5 meters of soil over the ages since they were created, the figures were discovered by farmers digging a well in 1974. The figures are life-size and include warriors, horses, chariots, officials, musicians and acrobats. They are arranged in military formation according to rank and duty. Wikipedia doesn't say how the musicians and acrobats figure in the military formation...

Just a meter mark, no stamp, so I won't bother to post it.

No comments:

Post a Comment