Friday, April 6, 2012

Canberra, Australia

IMG_6262
Canberra, Capital of Australia
1. Blundell's Cottage - 1858
2. Old Parliament House - 1927
3. National Carillion
4. National Museum of Australia

This card came as an official in an envelope with several other cards. This particular one I don't really care for, not because there's anything wrong with it per se, just because I'm not really a fan of multiviews. (Of the four views, the bottom left is most appealing to me.) The sender writes, "It is called the bush capital because we have retained a lot of natural bushland throughout the city."

Right now I'm reading In A Sunburned Country by Bill Bryson, a travel book about Australia. It took me a while to get into it (I started it on my trip to Asia in December), but now I am quite enjoying it. Bryson visited Canberra in his travels, and had this to say:

My one tip if you ever go to Canberra is don't leave your hotel without a good map, a compass, several days' provisions, and a cell phone with the number of a rescue service. I walked for two hours through green, pleasant, endlessly identical neighborhoods... from time to time I would come to a leafy rotary with spoked roads radiating off in various directions, each presenting an identical vista of antipodean suburban heaven, and I would venture down the one that looked most likely to take me to civilization only to emerge ten minutes later at another identical rotary. I never saw another soul on foot... Eventually, and abruptly, I turned a corner and was downtown. Here at last were stores and restaurants and all the other commercial amenities of a city, but all were closed.

No comments:

Post a Comment