Friday, December 7, 2012

Tallinn, Estonia

Tallinn
Tallinn, Estonia

I have a number of cards from Estonia, so it's high time I posted one of them on this blog.
This card is from Tondinahk for the favorites tag. This is a great example of a really beautiful cityview. Even though I say on my profile I don't like them, sometimes I do. :) It's all in the composition of the photo, really. I'm sure the birds in this one are photoshopped, but I don't care. :p

Tallinn is the oldest capital city in Europe, and its old town is a UNESCO world heritage site. If I am not mistaken, this card shows three of the major structures of the old town: Toompea Castle in the foreground, St. Nicholas Church in the middle (shorter tower) and St. Olaf's church in the distance (taller tower). St. Olaf's church, built in the 12th century, is rumored to have been built by a man named Olaf, who died after falling off the tower. When his body landed, a snake and a toad crawled from his mouth. This scene is depicted inside an adjoining chapel. The tower was also used by the KGB as a surveillance point. Nowadays, surplus to the Catholic church, they let the Baptists use it.

The stamp is from 2010, showing Christmas artwork by Liisa Hallik and Maarja Kotkas.

No comments:

Post a Comment