Saturday, February 11, 2012

Thailand: Land of Healthy Smile

tom yam ghoong

Trip card #2. I bought this card in the airport in Bangkok. I had an overnight layover in Bangkok on the way from Japan to Cambodia. When I booked the ticket I was kind of annoyed, since it meant I would have to find accomodation in a place I've never been and don't speak the language - which would be made even more challenging by the fact that I was arriving at 10pm local time (11pm in Japan), 3 hours later than I was used to going to sleep at Sogenji... after being awake since 3:30am. Then I had to be at the airport again at 6am for my flight to Siem Reap, and since my friend in Cambodia was taking the day off to pick me up at the airport and spend time with me, I did not want to spend the whole day asleep.

However, I subsequently remembered that I actually do know one person in Bangkok, a friend from high school who I hadn't spoken to in ... well, since high school. But we are Facebook friends, so I sent him a message, and he very kindly offered to let me stay at his place. It was the best overnight layover I could have hoped for: Luk and his girlfriend picked me up at the airport, drove me back to their place, and then he took me to the night market and helped me get some dinner before I crashed. It was really cool to see him again. The only part that didn't go well was the fact that I got to the airport late the next morning and almost missed my flight. But I didn't!

What happened after that is a story for another post.

I picked this card to post since one of the few "actual" things I got to do in Thailand was eat. I didn't eat tom yam ghoong, though. Tom yam ghoong is spicy shrimp soup, which I probably wouldn't eat given the choice (I am not a huge shrimp fan nor am I good with spicy food), but this photo makes it look delicious. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment