Thursday, July 1, 2010

Fort Portal, Uganda

I have to go to bed soon, but since I finally created this blog I've been meaning to for a long time (thanks to Ana's encouragement :), I think I need to post at least one card tonight. This card comes as a private swap with Katja in Kampala, Uganda. Needless to say, this is my first card from Uganda. I'm particularly glad to get this country because my mom lived in Uganda for a while when she was growing up, and I love to hear her stories about "when we lived in Africa."


Top 10 Scenic Places of Uganda
#5 Fort Portal Highland Tea Plantations

I couldn't find much info about this online. Fort Portal is a town nestled in the Rwenzori Mountains in the middle of the Toro Kingdom, about 200 miles west of Kampala, the capital city of Uganda. Most of the Google hits seem to be stops on safari tours. According to Wikipedia, most of the Rwenzori Mountains are part of a UNESCO site, but I don't think it stretches to accommodate the tea plantation shown on this card.

And it is stamped and written!
The woman on the stamp is Dorcus Inzikuru, a Ugandan athlete and gold medal winner at the 2006 Commonwealth Games.



When my mom looked at this post, she sent me a link to her sister's online photo album of scanned prints taken when they lived in Africa in 1958-1960. My mom is in the center. Click on the photo to go to the complete gallery.

1 comment:

  1. Heeey Maggie!! Im sooo happy to see you decided to open the postcard blog! It would be great to follow your postcard adventures :)))
    And what a card for an intro! Uganda! Im still missing one from there...but one day, sooner or later, it will come :)
    Love the stamp too!
    Good luck and wishing you many many many cards to be posted here :)

    ReplyDelete