Sunday, August 14, 2011

Stamped Card: Koala

IMG_1146

This prepaid postcard of a sleeping koala is an official, AU-65188. I figured it was appropriate since I spent a good portion of the day napping and I think my housemate is doing the same thing. I stayed out until 1:30am at a concert last night and I woke up at 5 to see my friend go in the water for a triathlon.

Although people often refer to them as "koala bears," koalas are in fact marsupials, not bears. Their closest living relative is the wombat. They are found in coastal regions of eastern and southern Australia. The word "koala" comes from the animal's name in Dharuk, an endangered Aboriginal language.

Koalas have opposable thumbs on their hands and feet and have fingerprints that are hard to distinguish from human ones (according to wikipedia). They spend most of their time in trees and most of their waking time eating eucalyptus leaves.

No comments:

Post a Comment